Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Firefox 3 Release Fumble



What an infrastructure bust! This is a prime example of why an awesome piece of software with great developers alone can't bring success to a product. Without proper attention to IT and operations, you loose market share and sometimes, customer confidence (not so much in this case for the latter).

For those who aren't aware of what I am talking about, here's a post by VentureBeat.com that describes today's mishap for Mozilla.

I am not saying it's easy to manage an infrastructure that is capable of facilitating a world wide simultaneous download nor do I necessarily think that a world wide simultaneous download is a good idea but if a company decides to hype up the world about it, it better follow through with diligent planning and implementation that will yield better results than what was seen by us today. I am personally a huge fan of Mozilla but this event was definitely a disappointment. If I was the director in-charge of delivering this release, I would think long and hard about how I ensure this never happens again.

On another note, Firefox 3.0 is great! I am seeing a lot of improvements and have been a happy FF3 user all morning. =) Good job on that Mozilla and volunteers! Keep up the good work! I am as always extremely appreciative of all your hard work! =)

0 comments: