Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Why I won't buy an iPhone 3G anymore...



A lot of publications have been covering the iPhone 3G's new terms with AT&T so I won't keep you long on what's already covered. Here are the bullet points on why I won't get an iPhone 3G anymore:

1. increase in data plan price by $10/mo and technically $20/mo for corporate use
2. No text messaging included with the data plan
3. I am currently an AT&T customer that's not yet eligible for an upgrade so it won't be just $199 for me.
4. No usb cable to charge while syncing

Here's a more in depth article about the iPhone 3G and its terms with AT&T from Venture Beat.

3 comments:

Justin Scott said...

1) yeah that sucks
2) who didn't already pay for the larger plans?
3) well...as with any phone, you must be eligible for upgrade to get subsidization
4) what do you mean? it charges with the supplied cable as it syncs

Jeremy Cheng - "An opinionated young professional" said...

Hi Justin,

Thanks for dropping a line.

2) I have a Blackjack II right now and my data plan is much more affordable than the iPhone 3G's data plan. (ie. Unlimited data/1000 messages)

3. Yeah, hence, why "I am" not getting one.

4. You are right... that derived from a rumor that the iPhone 3G had to be docked to sync and charge which I don't jive with well since I am always on the go. However that theory seems to be a misconception on my part.

Justin Scott said...

2) I have heard great things about the Blackjack. Cheaper plan is great, compared to Blackberry though, I think the iPhone plan is a better deal. Not positive though!
3) I think I have a work-around for that... ;-)
4) I didn't hear that rumor. At one point there was an issue with firewire and usb and getting power and I think the new iPods/iPhone's won't work with the old firewire adapter for either data or power, not sure which.

Oh, and I hope I didn't come off terse :) Too much Chris Pirillo whining has gotten me in a tizzy. haha. Great blog :)